| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Stop wasting time looking for files and revisions! Dokkio, a new product from the PBworks team, integrates and organizes your Drive, Dropbox, Box, Slack and Gmail files. Sign up for free.

View
 

Primary Key May 17 meeting notes

Page history last edited by Oli Shields 10 years, 10 months ago
[8:01:45 PM] oliver shields says: hey guys, how was your weekend?
[8:02:17 PM] *** Thaddeus White can't be added to this chat due to his/her privacy settings
 ***
[8:02:24 PM] Miodrag says: howdy itchy eyes from friendscat:(
[8:03:01 PM] Naraphong says: Hi
[8:03:49 PM] oliver shields says: sorry to hear itchy eyes.
[8:04:11 PM] oliver shields says: i had shingles a few weeks ago, it's basically a recurrence of chicken pox, ie itchy body !
[8:04:52 PM] oliver shields says: as an agenda we had: a) ideas for wikipedia update b) update on presentation c) voting on best software for different uses.
[8:05:38 PM] oliver shields says: for me, i was pretty busy this weekend - sorry - so haven't done much on c. but we can discuss if you like.  i have some ideas on a and maybe b.
[8:09:30 PM] Miodrag says: thanks...however you would like to start lets knock this out
[8:10:21 PM] oliver shields says: Nara - can you add Thad if he's there
[8:10:47 PM] oliver shields says: Did anyone have ideas on the wikipedia site update? Shout if so. I have a few I will write
[8:11:03 PM] Miodrag says: First wiki: My ideas for getting the WIKI updated is having weblink to video or certiain ideas we are trying to communicate by URL examples
[8:11:04 PM] *** Naraphong added Thaddeus White to this chat
 ***
[8:11:07 PM] Naraphong says: Sure
[8:11:22 PM] Miodrag says: something that makes sense and pertains to the subjecy
[8:11:27 PM] Miodrag says: *subject
[8:13:15 PM] oliver shields says: i think that sounds like a good idea, do you have specifics / can you prepare when you have some time
[8:13:57 PM] Miodrag says: I can and will research every topic and see if i can add video or links that pertain and yes i do, i will add during the week
[8:14:57 PM] oliver shields says: Okay, cool, thanks. The wikipedia pages is pretty basic. My ideas might not be that great but let me try. The first thing I thought was the definition isn't complete: "An online database is a database accessible by the internet." Suggested change would be to add "or by any network".
[8:15:38 PM] Miodrag says: Missio  statement
[8:15:46 PM] Miodrag says: *mission statement
[8:16:06 PM] Miodrag says: and yes the definition in lamens and technical terms
[8:16:39 PM] oliver shields says: do you mean add a mission statement?
[8:16:56 PM] oliver shields says: I'm thinking we can say why online databases are good and what the uses are (right from our work)
[8:17:17 PM] Thaddeus White says: hello
[8:17:27 PM] Miodrag says: yes
[8:17:35 PM] oliver shields says: Hey Thad, we're just getting started on the wikipedia page update.
[8:17:48 PM] Thaddeus White says: ok
[8:18:17 PM] Thaddeus White says: do i need an account for wikipedia?
[8:18:39 PM] oliver shields says: I took a look at updating and believe you need an account to update, but not to read .....
[8:18:49 PM] oliver shields says: I suggest adding to the wikipedia page something like this "online databases let the user structure and share the data. Some common uses of online databases are as follows ...."
[8:19:30 PM] Miodrag says: side note...I missed two weeks of comments of blogs for the class and can i make up those post? Secondly we three more weeks of class left?  have to add an article post to website...of subject but thanks
[8:20:00 PM] Miodrag says: Give me a time and date I will add the video and mission statement
[8:20:07 PM] Miodrag says: for wiki
[8:20:47 PM] Thaddeus White says: account established
[8:20:53 PM] oliver shields says: can you do before we meet next saturday? i can also propose changes if you agree they were worthwhile before next Sat
[8:21:17 PM] oliver shields says: i'm way behind on getting the 30 comments on the blog!
[8:21:19 PM] Miodrag says: deal will be ready before the meeting
[8:21:24 PM] oliver shields says: Thanks
[8:21:31 PM] Miodrag says: me too like 6 behind
[8:21:56 PM] Miodrag says: including tonight 9
[8:21:56 PM] oliver shields says: I think she said there were 9 weeks of class but it lasts 10 weeks as we miss memorial day
[8:22:14 PM] oliver shields says: ha.
[8:22:35 PM] Miodrag says: thats right...i have a 6th week post to post
[8:22:42 PM] Miodrag says: *9th
[8:23:22 PM] oliver shields says: as long as we comment from now onwards we should be okay i think. the post is pretty easy i think - just get an article on viritual coll. and add some questions for people to think about. you could do one on online databases if you like
[8:23:59 PM] Miodrag says: Also for wiki i will try to add buttons to with visuals for various areas....like thumbnails
[8:24:04 PM] oliver shields says: probably can't use this article but it's pretty relevant to our project - http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9081958
[8:25:00 PM] Miodrag says: the hw is fine got an artice but am getting forgetful when the 9th week is ill just post it and send her an email next sunday
[8:25:04 PM] Miodrag says: thanks oli
[8:25:23 PM] Miodrag says: get eh wiki nicer is my plan
[8:25:23 PM] Naraphong says: Nice article Oli
[8:25:57 PM] Miodrag says: looks wise
[8:26:02 PM] oliver shields says: Thanks.
[8:26:04 PM] Miodrag says: and a bit substance
[8:27:14 PM] oliver shields says: okay - so Mio will work on making the wiki look good and adding those things
[8:27:33 PM] Miodrag says: shall we move on i wil be responsible for the wiki make over/touch up
[8:27:38 PM] Miodrag says: yes
[8:28:13 PM] oliver shields says: How about I just try adding my changes to WIKIPEDIA and seeing whether they get accepted. I can send you guys a summary of what they are before hand
[8:28:47 PM] Miodrag says: sounds good if its not too much work for you
[8:29:38 PM] oliver shields says: no problem. if anyone else also wants to try making a wikipedia change probably doesn't hurt - i'm thinking hte worst that can happen is they just don't accept and no one would know anyway!
[8:29:58 PM] Miodrag says: yeah
[8:30:34 PM] Thaddeus White says: is the page online yet?
[8:30:42 PM] Thaddeus White says: if so, what is the link?
[8:31:13 PM] Miodrag says: we can add bits and peices to the presentation of the wiki as progress occurs?
[8:31:56 PM] Miodrag says: bits and pieces from the presentation to the wiki
[8:32:03 PM] Miodrag says: typos
[8:32:14 PM] Miodrag says: might be nice
[8:32:18 PM] oliver shields says: There are two things right - the PB PM440 wiki page and the wikpedia page
[8:32:45 PM] oliver shields says: in terms of the presentation, thad has been working on this. I'm emailing you the download from google now
[8:33:14 PM] oliver shields says: just my thought, but i was thinking that the PM440 wiki page can pretty much be put into a PPT format with a few extra slides?
[8:33:28 PM] oliver shields says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_databases is the wikipedia page
[8:33:34 PM] Thaddeus White says: ok
[8:34:29 PM] oliver shields says: i have about 5 ideas for changes to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_databases. i'm thinking i will just try them 1 by 1 with the most minor one first, and see what they accept
[8:34:49 PM] Thaddeus White says: So is this our page from creation or is this wikipedia's page that we will augment?
[8:35:05 PM] oliver shields says: we just augment the page that exists. it's pretty basic right now.
[8:35:14 PM] Thaddeus White says: ok
[8:35:15 PM] oliver shields says: from what i understand the idea is to make small incremental changes
[8:35:22 PM] Thaddeus White says: cool
[8:35:27 PM] Naraphong says: good idea
[8:35:29 PM] oliver shields says: because if we try to revamp it completely they will probably not accept the change
[8:36:20 PM] Thaddeus White says: Do we just provide an external link to the PB PM440 Wiki?
[8:37:00 PM] oliver shields says: i guess we could do that
[8:37:06 PM] Naraphong says: I think it's a good idea to show our work, so they can see what we gonna do?
[8:37:29 PM] oliver shields says: thad - do you mean adding a link to PM440 wiki on wikipedia?
[8:37:39 PM] Thaddeus White says: yes
[8:37:54 PM] Thaddeus White says: just as the other companies have done.
[8:38:03 PM] oliver shields says: i see what you're saying, i was thinking we could just add some of the content directly to the wikipedia page ie uses, dimensions
[8:38:06 PM] Miodrag says: just a bit
[8:38:17 PM] Thaddeus White says: i am assuming that other companies have done this...
[8:38:21 PM] Miodrag says: not drastic change
[8:38:39 PM] oliver shields says: no but i'm surprised they let those companies add their links .... i thought wikipedia was against self-promotion?!
[8:39:23 PM] oliver shields says: my thought is that it would be more of a change to add several paragraphs potentially to the text vs having one hyperlink?
[8:39:50 PM] oliver shields says: if we add them one by one so each could be seen as incremental? or maybe we can do both of these things?
[8:40:06 PM] oliver shields says: ie add a link and add text directly on the page?
[8:40:48 PM] Thaddeus White says: ok
[8:41:29 PM] Naraphong says: I think we can add both
[8:42:03 PM] oliver shields says: Sounds good. Thad - do you want to add the link? I have some changes I will try adding. Does anyone else have anything they want to add?
[8:42:29 PM] Thaddeus White says: cool
[8:42:29 PM] Miodrag says: not to that already expressed to me
[8:42:36 PM] Thaddeus White says: ok my bad
[8:42:45 PM] Thaddeus White says: go for it mio
[8:43:20 PM] oliver shields says: Thad - any thoughts on this stage about the presentation? would it be worth taking a look at some presentations from last semester? I
[8:43:39 PM] oliver shields says: 'm thinking that the presentation is just the wiki in PPT format but i havne't really thought about it too much
[8:43:54 PM] oliver shields says: i emailed what we have so far
[8:44:19 PM] Thaddeus White says: I was going to look at some of the presentations as well.
[8:44:37 PM] Thaddeus White says: I will work on the flow of the presentation tonight as well.
[8:44:54 PM] Thaddeus White says: Topic
[8:45:31 PM] Thaddeus White says: any thoughts on an outline for the prez
[8:45:39 PM] Naraphong says: Should we do the draft page of the Wikipedia before we post it into the wiki?
[8:46:33 PM] oliver shields says: Thad - if you take a look at some other presentatoins before we meet next saturday that would be really helpful i think, then we could review together.
[8:46:52 PM] Thaddeus White says: gotcha
[8:47:01 PM] Thaddeus White says: sounds like a plan
[8:47:22 PM] oliver shields says: in terms of slides, one slide i think we need is on the team dynamics. I put a page on the wiki. i can create a slide and add to the google document if sounds good.
[8:47:48 PM] Thaddeus White says: that's fine
[8:48:10 PM] oliver shields says: ie i have used officezilla somewhat so can discuss that, and i created a page of team norms such as replying to emails within 24 hours which we could cite i'm thinking
[8:48:27 PM] Thaddeus White says: the slides that i changed were just samples, i will have more submitted tonight
[8:48:38 PM] oliver shields says: That's fine. good to get it started. the format looked good to me.
[8:48:46 PM] oliver shields says: i'm going to class tomorrow, do you want me to ask about the wimba
[8:48:50 PM] Miodrag says: cool
[8:49:36 PM] oliver shields says: Nara - what did you mean exactly by "should we do the draft page of the Wikipedia before we post it into the wiki?"
[8:49:47 PM] Naraphong says: Sorry
[8:49:48 PM] Thaddeus White says: yes,  and will we need audio access?
[8:50:18 PM] oliver shields says: i think that's possible with wimba, you just need a headset right?
[8:50:36 PM] Naraphong says: I mean we should post on our wiki to show what will the new wiki look like, so we can have an idea about it.
[8:50:42 PM] oliver shields says: should i draft my changes to WIKIPEDIA.org on the wiki for any comments first, and then
[8:50:47 PM] Thaddeus White says: yes, but I will be in class that saturday, correct?
[8:51:01 PM] oliver shields says: that's true - you could go to class and i could do it remotely?
[8:51:19 PM] oliver shields says: or we could all do it remotely other than you in class?
[8:51:38 PM] Naraphong says: I will in class on Sat.
[8:51:39 PM] oliver shields says: or we can just turn up to class. just thinking would be fun to try wimba but it will take mor etime
[8:51:57 PM] oliver shields says: okay, sounds good. i can come to class as well or do it remotely, either is fine for me
[8:52:08 PM] Thaddeus White says: i would do it remotely if that is acceptable
[8:52:13 PM] oliver shields says: Okay cool
[8:52:31 PM] Thaddeus White says: let me know
[8:52:37 PM] oliver shields says: Nara - i agree - i will post the changes on wiki, ask for your feedback and then try to add to wikipedia. if anyone else has changes, then feel free to add.
[8:52:56 PM] oliver shields says: the only thing is that i would like to try to get at least 1 changed before we meet next sat just to see how it works
[8:53:34 PM] Naraphong says: I think a good idea, so we can know the feedback
[8:53:41 PM] oliver shields says: i gave them $20 as a charitable contribution a couple of years ago so maybe that will help ;)
[8:54:02 PM] Miodrag says: nice that doesnt hurt
[8:55:35 PM] oliver shields says: so action items are for me to put the wikipedia updates on the wiki page and for everyone to review / add changes before next Saturday, Thad will add to the presentation and review other teams from previous semester, and Mio will tidy up the wiki ??
[8:56:04 PM] oliver shields says: Other thing that comes to my mind would be for all of us to think about the use cases and software in terms of ranking them so we can have a good discussion on next sat
[8:56:20 PM] Miodrag says: correct and yes
[8:56:27 PM] Thaddeus White says: ok
[8:56:44 PM] oliver shields says: also i'll ask about the wimba
[8:56:45 PM] Naraphong says: I can prepare for the ranking form,so we just put the result next week.
[8:56:57 PM] Miodrag says: ok
[8:56:59 PM] oliver shields says: good idea nara - thanks
[8:57:17 PM] Naraphong says: would you want me to help anothe thing?
[8:57:44 PM] oliver shields says: nothing comes to mind but if something else comes up can i shoot you an email?
[8:58:03 PM] Naraphong says: sure
[8:58:14 PM] oliver shields says: okay thanks. in that case, want to call it a night? - i know we're all busy.
[8:58:51 PM] Thaddeus White says: yes
[8:59:15 PM] Thaddeus White says: thanks i got papers papers and more papers
[8:59:34 PM] oliver shields says: Ha. I got projects projects and more projects!
[8:59:47 PM] Miodrag says: Ok. so next saturday have our lists ready and have the wiki touched up.
[9:00:00 PM] Thaddeus White says: lol
[9:00:01 PM] Naraphong says: sound great
[9:00:06 PM] Thaddeus White says: cool
[9:00:08 PM] oliver shields says: yes - i think that would be good progress if we can do that.
[9:00:24 PM] Miodrag says: deal "howie"
[9:00:50 PM] oliver shields says: stay away  from the cat ;) Okay thanks everyone, have a good night, i'll put the minutes on the wiki now.
[9:01:11 PM] Thaddeus White says: :D
[9:01:23 PM] Thaddeus White says: take it easy and good night
[9:01:34 PM] Naraphong says: Thanks Oli, and have a good night, guys.
[9:02:04 PM] Naraphong says: I have a presentaion tomorrow, a bit nervous.
[9:02:32 PM] Thaddeus White says: no problem, you will knock it out of the park
[9:02:49 PM] oliver shields says: yes you'll be fine - my tips would be to keep eye contact with the audience, and go slowly
[9:03:32 PM] Thaddeus White says: pick one person in three parts of the room that you feel comfortable making eye contact
[9:03:48 PM] oliver shields says: right - exactly.
[9:03:57 PM] Miodrag says: nara no worries
[9:04:00 PM] Naraphong says: Thanks for tips :)
[9:04:13 PM] oliver shields says: that way if something's not clear you can tell it from their expression. and you connect with them
[9:04:24 PM] Thaddeus White says: and always remember they do not know what you are going to tell them so you have the power!
[9:04:47 PM] Thaddeus White says: May the force be with you young jedi!
[9:04:57 PM] Thaddeus White says: 8-)
[9:05:00 PM] oliver shields says: the force is strong in that one
[9:05:33 PM] Naraphong says: lol
[9:05:49 PM] Miodrag says: anakin oh no
[9:06:00 PM] Thaddeus White says: ok i am a gonner, peace
[9:06:03 PM] Thaddeus White says: lol
[9:07:17 PM] Naraphong says: Can I be solo :D

[9:08:15 PM] oliver shields says: good point - he's the best character. have fun with it like that character would ! I'm out, good luck

[9:08:39 PM] Naraphong says: Thank you too.

 

 

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.